Dr Eva Maire
Eva’s research aims to better understand how humans affect the dynamics of coral reef systems and the structure of reef fish communities. Her research projects include (i) examining how human impacts shape fish biodiversity, biomass and functions with a focus on accessibility from human populations and (ii) determining the drivers which promote the presence of species, species groups or interactions that are necessary to maintain high levels of ecosystem functioning and services. Her research uses field and lab work, statistical models and spatial analyses.
Eva’s current work aims to determine the ecological and environmental determinants of nutrient availability from fish to better understand the nutritional contributions small-scale fisheries make to human health in the WIO.
- Darling ES, McClanahan TR, Maina JM, Gurney GA, Graham NAJ, Januchowski-Hartley F, Cinner JE, Mora C, Hicks CC, Maire E et al. (2019) Social-environmental drivers inform strategic management of coral reefs in the Anthropocene. Nature Ecology and Evolution 3: 1341–1350
- Letessier TB, Mouillot D, Bouchet PJ, Vigliola L, Fernandes MC, Thompson C, Boussarie G, Turner J, Juhel J, Maire E et al. (2019) Remote reefs and seamounts are the last refuges for marine predators across the Indo-Pacific. PLoS Biology 17: e3000366
- Barneche DR, Rezende EL, Parravicini V, Maire E, Edgar G, Stuart-Smith RD et al. (2019) Body size drives global gradients in reef-fish species richness across space? Global Ecology and Biogeography 28: 315-327
- Cinner JE, Maire E, Huchery C, MacNeil MA, Graham NAJ, Mora C et al. (2018) Gravity of human impacts mediates coral reef conservation gains. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115: E6116-E6125
- Maire E, Villéger S, Graham NAJ, Hoey A, Cinner J, Ferse S, Aliaume C, Booth D, Feary D, Kulbicki M, Sandin S, Vigliola L, Mouillot D (2018) Community-wide scan flags fish species associated to coral reef services globally. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 285
- Maire E, Cinner J, Velez L, Huchery C, Mora C, Dagata S, Vigliola L, Wantiez L, Kulbicki M, Mouillot D (2016) How accessible are coral reefs to people? A global assessment based on travel time. Ecology Letters 19: 351-360
- Cinner JE, Huchery C, MacNeil MA, Graham NAJ, McClanahan TR, Maina J, Maire E, Kittinger JN, Hicks CC, et al. (2016) Bright spots among the world’s coral reefs. Nature 535: 416-419